Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 6416.001.A,B
Caption Methodist Episcopal Church - 1957
Description Methodist Episcopal Church, north side of 8th Street between Q and R Avenues. This church was a prominent feature in many photos of Anacortes' skyline during much of the 1900s. This view of the church looks north from 8th Street. The Methodist-Episcopal Church, began in Anacortes June 28 1890, was one of the first churches organized in Anacortes: On July 3, 1890 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported: "Church organizations" Methodist Church organized in this city." January 15, 1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN: "Revival meeting under the auspices of the Methodist Church are now in full swing in Bowman's Hall." Construction of the church at 8th Street between Q and R Avenues began in 1892. Panic of 1893 slowed construction and the church was not completed until 1902. In October 1934, a severe storm damaged the 110 foot belltower on the church and knocked the steeple over. [See WF 170, WF 172 for other views of the church]. The steeple was subsequently removed and the belltower lowered to the level of the roof peak as shown in this photo [see also WF 1133]. In 1939 this tower was remodeled into a new entrance for the church, one that faced west instead of south [see WF 1132, WF 1316-1339]. In 1965, the church relocated to 2201 H Avenue. In 1968 their name was changed to United Methodist Church on a national level. The 8th Street Methodist Church was demolished sometime thereafter. As of 2003, apartments occupy the former site of the church and the street has been closed off.
Date 1957/ /
Photographer ANACORTES AMERICAN staff
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - Church
Structure
Place - Anacortes, WA
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Methodist Church
Methodist Episcopal Church
United Methodist Church
1957
8th Street
2201 H Avenue
Object Name Photograph