|Catalog Number||WF 1486|
|Caption||Marineer Parade c. 1938 - Military color guard|
This image from the c. 1938 Marineer Parade is of a color guard and marching unit from the U. S. Marine Corps. Notice the sign above the street reading, "Welcome Fleet" which was aimed at visiting naval vessels; also note the "acorn" street lights. The men marching in the rear may have been from one of the military ships visiting Anacortes. For a close-up view, see WF 1487.
Buildings, right to left:
Pioneer Building with Iverson Brothers Billiard hall. Pioneer Building was built in 1898 by Valentine Funk. The Iverson Brothers began business here at 522 Commercial, c. 1929, in the old location of Anacortes Hardware; see WF 0078 and 1487. By 1948 the business was known as Iverson Brothers Beer Parlor, which was there in the 1955 city directory, but gone by the 1962 directory.
Shannon Building with Shannon Hardware on the southwest corner of Commercial and 6th. The building was built in 1899. Shannon Hardware began that same year and was listed in the 1937 city directory, but not in the 1939 directory.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
Organization - Military
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Military marching unit
Iverson Brothers Billiard hall
Anacortes Hardware Co.
Iverson Brothers Beer Parlor
acorn street light
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|