Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1314
Caption Methodist Church - laying cornerstone
Description This image was taken on the north side of 8th Street between Q and R avenues. It is the sixth of eight images of the dedication of the new entrance to the Methodist Church following a major remodeling during 1939-40. Apparently the process involved resetting or moving the cornerstone of the original church. These men gave speeches at the event. This church steeple was a prominent feature in many photos of Anacortes' skyline during much of the 1900s. The Methodist-Episcopal Church, begun in Anacortes on June 28, 1890, was one of the first churches organized in the city. On 7-3-1890 the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Church organizations. Methodist Church organized in this city." The 1-15-1891 issue reported, "Revival meeting under the auspices of the Methodist Church are now in full swing in Bowman's Hall." Construction of the church on 8th Street began in 1892. Economy slowed construction, and the church wasn't completed until 1902. In October 1934, a severe storm damage the 110' belltower on the church and knocked the steeple over. See WF 0170, 0172. The steeple was subsequently removed and the belltower lowered to the level of the roof peak; see also WF 1133. In 1939-40 the tower was remodeled into a new entrance for the church, one that faced west instead of south; see WF 1132, 1136-9. In 1965, the church relocated to 22nd and H Avenue.
The original church was demolished in 1970 and replaced with Harbor House, city housing for the elderly.
Date 1940
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - Church
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Methodist Church
Harbor House
Object Name Negative