Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0250
Description This view looks north on Commercial Avenue from 5th Street. On right (east) side of photo is the McNaught Building on the NE corner of 5th and Commercial (419 Commercial), this building housed Allan's Department Store. Archie Allan owned another business on Commercial; on 11-27-1930, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported his purchase of the McNaught Building from F. Foster who had bought the building from the estate of Anacortes Mercantile founder R. Lee Bradley who had died in 1927. Foster "completely remodeled" the building by adding office space and apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Thereafter, Allan rented out the upper floors as "Mercantile Apartments"; see sign on second floor of McNaught Building. On the left (west) side of the photo the Empire Building(420 Commercial) is visible on the NW corner of 5th and Commercial. Known at this time as the "Medical-Dental" Building because of the number of medical offices on the upper floor, the building was constructed in 1905. The Diamond 5 Cents to 1 Dollar store opened in its ground floor storefront c. 1939. North of the Empire Building, the Nelson Building is visible, as is the Platt Building on the SW corner of 4th and Commercial (402 Commercial). Note street lights and cars. See WF 0251-3 for other images of Commercial Avenue taken by Ellis during this same time period.

Ellis photo #1703
Date 1946, c.
Photographer ELLIS, J. Boyd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Place - Commercial Avenue
People
Postcard
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms McNaught Building
Allan's Department Store
Anacortes Mercantile Company
Mercantile Apartments
Empire Building
Medical-Dental Building
Diamond 5 Cents to 1 Dollar store
Platt Building
street light
car
Object Name Postcard