Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2009.017.005
Caption Sternwheel of the W.T. Preston
Description Close up photo of the sternwheel of the W. T. PRESTON. One of five B/W photocopies used by teacher , Richard Dunbar, in a photo essay

The wood-hulled snagboat W. T. PRESTON was built c. 1929, using some components (sternwheel and engines) of the vessel it replaced, the SWINOMISH. The W. T. PRESTON, named for the only civilian engineer then working for the Corps of Engineers, served the Corps form 1929 to 1939, pulling snags out of Puget Sound waterways and local rivers. A new steel-hulled, 163' W. T. PRESTON was then built at the Lake Union Drydock in Seattle, again using material from the wooden boat it replaced. In 1981 the W. T. PRESTON, "last Puget Sound sternwheeler" was retired. She went on display in Anacortes in 1983.
Date 1980
Subjects Transportation - Maritime
Credit line Donated by Mr. Richard Dunbar
Place Lake Union (Seattle, WA)
Search Terms Civil Corps of Engineers
Lake Union
sternwheel
W. T. PRESTON
Object Name Print, Photographic, copy