Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0032.A,B
Description Jerry Mangan, Toru March, Lilly March -on steps, Sena Mangan -on steps with hat, Lizzie Benn -on porch, Kate Benn -3rd from left, Mrs. Booen and baby, Anna March and H..., girls in front are Addie and Mabel Mangan, Naclacey (?), Harry Bailey, Mr. Waldron, Harry Fred Cey, Henry Howard (all three men are from the logging camp) [note: there are 8 men to the right of center of this photo and only 7 names]. Mangan's store, located closer to the beach and just east of present-day Anderson's Store, was built by Tim Mangan in approximately 1876, before there was an Anacortes. Tim's wife, Flora, ran a boarding house and post office out of the home next door to the west. The store prospered as a primary steamboat way station beween Whatcom (now Bellingham) and Seattle. The business became Mangan Brothers Store in 1885 an agreement with Tim's younger brother, Jeremiah, who was given the store and wharf to run. Tim, who operated the steamboat EVANGEL for a time, helped provide stock. within a few years, business fell off (possibly due to competition across the channel when Amos Bowman started commercial enterprises. Jeremiah, desperate, talked Tim and Flora into signing over their homestead with a deed of trust to "give him a better financial standing." He promised to reconvey the property at any time on request. But as soon as it was signed, his demeanor changed for the worst, resulting in violence and even threats of murder if the Mangans would not vacate. In 1889 Tim and Flora sued Jeremiah seeking restitution for goods and return of their property. All of this and more comes from the transcript of the ensuing trial which was discovered in the Northwest Washington Archives in Bellingham by Kit Marcinko's friend, Susan Fahey.

This remarkable photograph and others were preserved by Mangan family descendants and provided to THE STAR and Historical Society by Mangan great-granddaughter Nancy Stubbs of Vancouver, B. C.

The trial testimony provides an intimate view of life on Guemes during pioneer times.
Date 1890
Photographer BOOEN, J. O.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Animal - Horse
Photograph
People
Place - Fidalgo Island
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People BAILEY, Harry
BENN, Elizabeth "Liz"
BENN, Katherine "Katy" "Katie" BUTLER
CEY, Harry Fred
HOWARD, Henry C.
MANGAN, Adelaide "Addie" Capella
MANGAN, Jeremiah "Jerry"
MANGAN, Mabel
MANGAN, Asenith "Sena"
MARCH, Annie
MARCH, Lillian C. "Lilly"
MARCH, Toru
Place Guemes Island, WA
Search Terms Fidalgo City
Dewey
Halpin Store
Object Name Print, Photographic