|Catalog Number||WF 1480.A,B|
|Caption||1941 Marineer Parade - Orthopedic Guild float|
#21 of the 1941 Marineer Parade series is of an Orthopedic Guild float. Two women and some children stand atop the float; a sign reads, "Open your hearts." Also see WF 5656. The Anacortes Auxiliary of Seattle's Children's Orthopedic Hospital Guild was named for Dr. S. B. Brooks, a physician who practiced in Anacortes from 1912 until his death c. 1944. The importance of the Orthopedic Hospital's auxiliary guilds in providing accessible medical care for the Fidalgo Island community cannot be overstated. The guild raised funds that were vital to the operation of Children's Orthopedic, which then served the children of all of Washington's outlying communities in time of medical need. Children's Orthopedic was founded by Seattle women in 1907 and built on the devoted labor of thousands of women across Washington State through the guild system. Because of that system, many children from Fidalgo Island were treated at Children's, regardless of race, creed, color, or eligibility to pay. Guilds raised money through a variety of mechanisms from the annual Penny Drive to fashion shows, teas, and dances. See photos taken by Wallie Funk for views of Orthopedic Guild fundraisers. For other Orthopedic floats, see WF 1454, 1519.
Buildings visible, right to left:
corner of Platt Building, built in 1890, with the Anacortes Cannery Union Cannery Workers, AFL Local 21173 on the ground floor.
unknown what this building is called, but it contains Fern Press, a printers and stationery store and Huey's Jewelry. Alex Thompson began Fern Press Printers c. 1929 at 916 6th Street. By 1937 he had opened a storefront at 408 Commercial, where he remained until c. 1950. Albert Huey purchased this jewelry business from J. C. Leadbetter in 1929 and went out of business shortly after this image was taken; see also WF 1094. The Leadbetter Clock is in front of the jewelry store.
the Brown Lantern Tavern opened here c. 1934 and is still operating as of 1-2009.
the Nelson Building, with the rounded windows above the marquee, is occupied by Kimsey's Foods. The Nelson Building was built in 1911; see 7-6-1911 ANACORTES AMERICAN. Kimsey Foods began here at 414 Commercial c. 1938-39. The business operated as a grocery store until the late 1950s.
at the northwest corner of Commercial and 6th is the Empire Building, known at this time as the Medical-Dental Building. The 4-27-1905 paper reported, "New brick building to be erected at corner of 5th and Commercial by Judge Joiner, Attorney Wells and E. L. McLean: Will be leased by Thornburg Mercantile Co." At this time the ground floor housed Anacortes Drug Company, more commonly known as Rexall Drug Store by locals, and the Diamond Ten Cent Variety Store. Anacortes Drug Company located here c. 1903-c.1962. Diamond Variety began c. 1939, after Allinger's Variety Store vacated the space; see WF 1444.
buildings past the Empire Building are not identified.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Orthopedic Guild float
Children's Orthopedic Hospital
Fern Press Printers
Brown Lantern Tavern
Thornburg Mercantile Co.
Anacortes Drug Company
Rexall Drug Store
Diamond Ten Cent Variety Store
Allinger's Variety Store
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|