Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2578
Caption Industrial Arts Building - AHS
Description The Industrial Arts Building of Anacortes High School was constructed in the mid-1940s after the Manual Training Building on the north side of the gymnasium burned down. See the original building in WF 2580. The 9-7-1911 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that Anacortes School District had added "manual training and domestic science departments" to their curriculum. That effort was shaped by a site visit to the Snohomish Manual Training program. The Manual Training Movement took hold of American public education in the late-1890s as industry sought a greater role in shaping the education of American students, particularly male. The movement was initially shaped by the Arts and Crafts Movement, which sought to educate children in "head, heart, and hand," thus teaching the whole child. Professor John Dewey at the University of Chicago played a critical role in shaping this philosophy with his book, "THE SCHOOL AND SOCIETY." However, American industry was not pleased with this aesthetic bent, which encouraged self-exploration and creative fulfillment. Industry's captains wanted workers who would serve American business needs. The formation of the Society for the Promotion of Industrial Education in 1906 marked an increasingly different influence in manual training, which up until then had been offered to boys and girls. Manual Training became gender-based education at that time. Girls were no longer given the same curriculum as boys; industry wanted girls trained as "consumers of industrial goods," and their training became known as "domestic economy", a name later changed to home economics. Boys' manual training in shop and mechanical skills became known as "industrial arts." Bellingham State Normal School, now Western Washington University, which trained most teachers that taught in the northwestern portion of Washington State, embraced a state-of-the-art manual training curriculum for their teachers as soon as the school opened in 1899. See WF 2580, 2581 for views of the first manual training shop and products produced by the boys.
Date 1940s c. mid
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - School
Place - Anacortes, WA
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes High School
Industrial Arts Building
Manual Training Building
Object Name Print, Photographic