Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1882
Caption North Pacific Shipbuilding Corporation
Description This series of images, WF 1880-1891, was taken to document for one of the Hauglands the construction of a purse seiner by the North Pacific Ship Company at 6th and I Avenue on the Guemes Channel. This view shows the outside of the keel and hull of the boat under construction. The Haugland family lived at Lake Campbell, and several members were very involved in the fishing industry. They chose to have North Pacific Ship Company build this boat. Apex Cannery began at this site c. 1901 and closed in the mid-1930s. The 6-4-1942 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Shipyard here." "Martinsen Shipyard Company of Seattle to commence work immediately on building of ways ... on waterfront." "Shipyard to locate between G to J avenues at end of 6th Street. Shipyard will build mine sweeper and Navy auxiliary types of vessels. Martinsen Shipyard Company of Seattle will erect a large and complete shipyard. Machinery to be moved here around June 16. 1060 feet of frontage property have been taken over by the company. The main building measures 460 feet long and 150 feet wide, giving the yard building 69,000 square feet. Railroad facilities and water frontage will be an exceptional advantage to shipbuilding. Naval architects Harold Lee and associates of Seattle are preparing plans for the remodeling and fitting of the docks suitable for the construction of ships up to 300 feet in length. Officers and executives: Martin M. Martinsen, president. Joseph O Donnell, vice president. Dave J. Grant, treasurer. Melvin Martinsen, secretary. Harold M. Troy, Olympia, attorney." The 6-11-1942 issue continued, "Before bulk of the work on the yard commences, Naval Architects will complete over-all layout of the construction and overhauling work to be done at the plant site. Applications for positions in the yard are being taken this week as preparations are being made to launch full scale construction work within a short time. The old Apex cannery building at the foot of J Avenue, which has not been used for a number of years, will be remodeled, it is reported, and will form the main building and offices of the company." Less that a year later, the 3-4-1943 paper reported, "Hawthorne buys the Martinsen shipyards. New supervision. Plans include machine shop and facilities for fishing boat repairs." The business was renamed North Pacific Shipbuilding Corporation. This series of images was probably taken at the end of World War II when the company began to diversity and build vessels for peacetime use. The company is not listed in the 1948 city directory.
Date 1945 c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
Industry - Boat Building
Maritime - Boat
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Martinsen Shipyard Company
Apex Fish Company
North Pacific Shipbuilding Corporation
Keel
Object Name Negative