Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0160.A,B,C
Caption Knapp Bicycle Shop
Description Knapp Bicycle Shop was located at 7th and Commercial; Ed Knapp is shown in shop. Knapp's business was the precursor to Knapp & Ronneberger automobile partnership. One of the earliest signs of bicycle businesses on Fidalgo Island is seen in 4-20-1893 ad in ANACORTES AMERICAN for "W. W. W. Bicycles: C. E. Ingalls, Fidalgo." Shortly thereafter the "bicycle craze" erupted on Fidalgo Island as elsewhere in the U. S. The Anacortes Bicycle Club was founded, and Valentine and Barbara Funk joined as members. On 7-5-1899, the paper announced that a "Tax on bikes of $1.00 each to go into bicycle fund." Ed Knapp's Bicycle Shop appears to have started business c. 1900 with this ad in city directory: "E. L. Knapp and Co., Bicycles and Repairing, Next to Post Office." In 1902 the business advertised its address as P and 7th. By 1905 the bicycle business had become Knapp, E. L. and Co. Machinists, one of several machine shops to start during that period as a result of increased canneries and lumber mills in Anacortes. By 1907, Knapp had joined forces with Ben Ronneberger as Knapp & Ronneberger, an automobile garage and, ostensibly, the first "Ford dealership in the state."
See also WF 0161, 0162.
Photographer JUDD, Charles LeRoy - possibly
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Transportation - Land
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People KNAPP, Edwin "Ed" Lyman
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Knapp Bicycle Shop
W. W. W. Bicycles
bicycle craze
Anacortes Bicycle Club
Knapp, E. L. and Co. Machinists
machine shop
Knapp & Ronneberger
Ford dealership
Object Name Print, Photographic