Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0120
Caption Bank of Anacortes
Description The Bank of Anacortes on the SW corner of 4th and P/Commercial was the second bank erected by John Platt in Anacortes. The first was a wood-framed building that occupied this spot. On 1-11-1890, the ANACORTES PROGRESS reported, "Platt's bank building will be put up on the corner of 4th and P streets, work commencing at once." On 2-8-1890, the paper reported that Platt hoped to have his bank open within one week. On 5-22-1890, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the wood-frame bank building "is being moved 100' south of its old location where it will still be used as a bank while new bank building is built of brick." On 10-9-1890, the paper reported, "To John Platt is due the credit and honor of building and occupying the first brick block to be erected upon Fidalgo Island." This photo is the interior of the bank in the brick Platt Building. Platt's bank was short-lived. On 7-20-1893, as the 1893 Panic took hold of the nation, Bank of Anacortes closed its doors. A notice was posted on the door stating: "it is compelled to suspend payment owing to stringency of the money market." For exterior views of the bank, see WF 0117, 0118, 0119.
Date 1890 c.
Photographer EWING, David B.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms bank
Bank of Anacortes
Platt Building
brick building
1893 Panic
wood-frame building
Object Name Print, Photographic