Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0373
Caption WAWONA
Description The fishing schooner WAWONA , pictured on the Guemes channel without sails, was owned by Robinson Fisheries of Anacortes. She was built "at the end of the great age of sail," and launched in 1897 from the Hans Ditlev Bendixsen yard in Fairhaven, California, - "the largest three-masted schooner built in North America" at 165' long, 35' beam, and 11.5' draft. Her career began with hauling lumber along the West Coast. The schooner was purchased by Robinson Fisheries in 1914 for use as a fishing schooner in the Bering Sea. She carried a crew of 36 during the six-month fishing season. The 9-13-1917, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on one of the vessel's yearly fall returns to Anacortes from Alaska. "WAWONA arrives with big catch ... 264,000 codfish." The ship was "drafted as a military barge during WWII, hauling yellow cedar to Washington for aircraft industry." After the war the WAWONA fished for cod for two more seasons, then retired. She became the first ship in the United States to be listed on the National Register, and became a National Historic Site in 1970. As of 2003 she was berthed on the south end of Lake Union, Seattle, at the Maritime Heritage Center. An effort was made to raise funds to restore her, but it proved to be too expensive and she was dismantled in the spring of 2009. [Information came from www.oz.net/~seaport/wawona.html] See also WF 0374, 0375, 0376, 0387, 0388, 0389, 0391, 0424, 0425.
Date 1938, September 2
Photographer Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Transportation - Maritime
Maritime - Boat
Industry - Fishing
Industry - Mill - Lumber
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Guemes Channel, WA
Search Terms WAWONA
fishing schooner
cod
military barge
yellow cedar
National Register
National Historic Site
Object Name Print, Photographic