Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0655
Caption Guemes Island logging
Description This image of logging on Guemes Island was probably taken on North Beach. This is one of a series of LeBallister images; he also photographed other logging operations on Fidalgo Island. This is probably the Olson Logging Camp mentioned in WF 0656. The logging industry began with the arrival of white settlers on Guemes Island , and the Edens brothers soon set the standard for logging operations at their well-known camp. The 4-10-1875, BELLINGHAM BAY MAIL reported on the Edens logging camp during a "Birds Eye tour of Whatcom County"; at that time Whatcom County encompassed Guemes Island. The 7-24-1875, edition stated, "Squire Edens of Guemes was in town last Wednesday on business connected with a lot of piles and mining timbers he is getting out for the BBB Coal Company: Mr. Edens has now ready a raft 300' long by 75' wide." The 6-30-1883, NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported, "Edens Logging Camp is getting out 75,000 bf of logs per week." As late as 1959, logging camps were still operating on the island. A 3-15-1959, SEATTLE TIMES article on Guemes Island, written by veteran reporter Lucille McDonald, reported that there were two logging outfits with mills on the island.
Date 1904
Photographer LeBALLISTER, J. H.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Guemes Island
People
Animal - Horse
Industry - logging
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Guemes Island, WA
Search Terms Guemes Island
logging
logging camp
BBB Coal Company
raft
Object Name Print, Photographic