Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.IX.058
Description BEATRICE BAER was christened in 1912. She was built by Will A. Lowman in Anacortes. Lowman was owner of the White Crest Salmon Canning Co.. The vessel burned crude oil and had a compound steam engine, giving her great power for towing. She was sold to Pacific American Fisheries in 1917 for $27,000. Some of the local crew were Capt. U. S. Briscoe, Engineer George Fowler, Sr., Lee Bauter, George Fowler, Jr. and Oscar Fowler. Gilkey Bros Towing Co. was the next owner. It changed engines, putting in a Washington 270 Estep diesel. The BEATRICE BAER, which had been named for Will Lowman's wife, is now owned by an Everett resident.--Galen Biery Collection. On April 11, 1912, The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "New craft is launched here. One of finest tugs on Puget Sound goes into the deep this morning. Vessel cost over $25, 000. Many witness BEATRICE BAER take her first dip in the Sound here." "One of the largest and finest sea-going tugs to be found sailing on Puget Sound, was launched in Anacortes this morning...The BEATRICE BAER has been constructed at a cost of something over $25,000 and was built in this city at the company's wharf by J. A. Taylor...Capt. Harvey Hurd will be the master...Charles Bresley...its chief engineer. She will carry a crew of about seven or eight hands."
Date 1912/ /
Subjects Maritime - Boat
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
People LOWMAN, William Alvin "Will"
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms BEATRICE BAER
tug
tugboat
christening
1912
Object Name Print, Photographic