Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2438
Caption Platt Building
Description The Platt Building at 404 Commercial (southwest corner of 4th and Commercial) housed several businesses. The Employment Security Department was on the front ground floor level at the corner, occupying the former quarters of the Bank of Anacortes (1890-1893). Anacortes Equipment Company, run by Ben Van Deusen, is also visible on the ground floor; not listed in the 1940 directory, but by 1955 the business had moved to 501 Commercial. Brady's Photo Studio, at 410 Commercial, is visible on the left side of the building, followed by the Brown Lantern Tavern; next is Kimsey's Grocery in the Nelson Building (built in 1911).

The Platt Building was the first brick building on Fidalgo Island. It was built by John Platt during the summer of 1890. The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 7-31-1890, "Platt bank building will be done in 30 days." On 10-9-1890, "The New Bank ... Fine store and Offices ... To John Platt is due the credit and honor of building and occupying the first brick block to be erected upon Fidalgo Island." Note the chimneys and roofline which are distinctly different from their appearance today. The building had several names, such as Post Office Building (Post Office housed here from 1895 to at least 1898) and, in 1901, the Wells Building after it was purchased by W. V. Wells. The structure also housed the first telephone company, according to Madge Stafford's notes on the back of WF 0117.B.
Date 1948 c.
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business

Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Platt Building
Employment Security Department
Bank of Anacortes
Anacortes Equipment Company
Brady's Anacortes Studio
Brown Lantern Tavern
Kimsey's Dependable Grocery
Nelson Building
brick building
Post Office Building
Wells Building
roofline
Object Name Negative