Curtis Wharf Company on the Curtis Dock at the foot of O Street on Guemes Channel waterfront. Melville Curtis started the business at the Curtis Wharf sometime between 1903 and 1905 by establishing a "coal and builders supply" at the foot of O Avenue. Fred Stafford (died 8-13-1947) stands at left; he was an important leader in Anacortes civic, business, and political circles and the husband of Madge Stafford (who assisted Wallie V. Funk on the historic photo project in the 1950s) as well as the father of Charles Stafford, who became chief justice of the Washington State Supreme Court. Next to Stafford is Melville Curtis, and the man at far right is Fred Baker. The woman is unidentified. By 1910 the Curtis Dock was listed regularly in the City Directory, a listing that continued through the 1962 phone book; there was no listing in the 1975 directory. The wharf was demolished in September 1992 despite efforts to preserve it. The 1917 City Directory listing [below] is the most extensive for the Curtis Wharf Company, and gives a good idea of the type of activities occurring there. Curtis also started the Anacortes Ice Company at the foot of O Avenue at his wharf. Its first listing at Curtis Wharf is th 1910 City Directory. Curtis died in March 1925.
Curtis Wharf, Inc. Melville Curtis, president, coal and building material, Curtis Wharf Foot of O
Curtis Warehouse No. 1 Curtis Wharf
Curtis Warehouse No. 2 Foot of O
Curtis Wharf's sand and gravel bunkers Foot of N
American Express, Melville Curtis agent Curtis dock
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|