Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0170.A,B,C
Caption Methodist-Episcopal Church
Description The Methodist-Episcopal Church on the north side of 8th Street between Q and R avenues was organized in Anacortes on June 28, 1890. On 7-3-1890, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Church organizations" "Methodist Church organized in this city." The 1-15-1891, paper reported, "Revival meetings under the auspices of the Methodist Church are now in full swing in Bowmans Hall." Construction of the church began in 1892. Economy slowed construction and the church wasn't completed until 1902. In October 1904 a severe storm damaged the 110' belltower on the church and the tower was subsequently lowered to the level of the roof peak; see WF 1132, 1133. This tower was later remodeled into a new entrance for the church, one that faced west instead of south; see WF 1135-1139. In 1965 the church relocated to 22nd and H Avenue. The original church was subsequently demolished and replaced with Harbor House.
Date 1934, October
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Diaster
Organization - Church
Structure - Church
Place - Anacortes, WA
Weather - Wind
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Methodist Episcopal Church
steeple
wind
belltower
Object Name Print, Photographic