|Catalog Number||WF 1070|
This staff of five is standing behind the fruit display of Luvera's Grocery. Left to right are: Clarence Bloomer, Lucille Bozanich, Paul Everett, Nick (Dad) Luvera and Paul Luvera. this ran in the ANACORTES AMERICAN on July 22, 1931 stating:
"Luvera Celebrates Ninth Year of Store; The picture above is to help celebrate the ninth anniversary of Luvera's grocery store in Anacortes. Aiding in the celebration and prominently displayed in the picture is an R C A Victor radio from De Remer's store.
The display shows the specialization in fruits and vegetables at this establishment, and the theme of the occasion is "Keeping Abreast of the Times."
Paul Luvera, head of the business, came to Anacortes in 1918. By his own efforts Paul worked the business up from zero to its present gratifying volume.
Luvera's supply 93 per cent of the purse seine fleet with groceries , and enjoy a large part of the waterfront trade. Nothing but the best of everything is the rule at Luvera's; the first store to install the new R C A Victor radio."
Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started this grocery on November 22, 1922, on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building at 702 Commercial. This structure was built as the Blackmore Building c.1890; later known as the Hensler Building, owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera's father Nicolas, was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy, he immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicolas, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul, a business that had a variety of different names over the years: Luvera's Fruit and Grocery, Luvera's Grocery, etc. In 1953 the Blackmore building and Luvera's store, was extensively remodeled including removing the 2nd story from the building. Paul Luvera retired in 1957. See also: WF-1446 for Luvera float in Marineers' Pageant; WF 2417-2466, 4120 and WF 5685 and D.IV.122.001-003
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
702 Commercial Avenue
|Object Name||Print, photographic|