Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1094.A,B
Caption Huey Jewelry store
Description Huey Jewelry store was owned by Albert and Anna Huey at 410 Commercial Avenue. The Huey family moved to Anacortes from Tacoma in 1929 when Albert purchased the jewelry store of J. C. Leadbetter, who had been in business for 22 years. The 3-21-1929 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Leadbetter, pioneer jeweler, sells store." "Leadbetter is one of the pioneer jewelers of the state and is well known, not only locally, but throughout the state." During the late 1800s and early 1900s, before optometry was an established profession, jewelers also offered optometric services; see WF 1092. By the time Huey opened his store on Commercial, optometrists were practicing in town, most notably H. L. and Edwin Dodge, but the sign at the bottom of Huey's display window reflects that once important service: "Glasses fixed and repaired." The business was listed in the 1937 city directory, but it was gone by the 1939 directory. For other views of the store see WF 1463, 1730, 1731.
Date 1937 - c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Huey Jewelry
window display
optometry
pioneer jeweler
glasses repair
410 Commercial Avenue
jeweler
jewelry
jewelry business
clock
Clocks
Object Name Print, photographic