Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2470
Caption Lutheran Church - Confirmation Class
Description Ten teenagers pose with the Lutheran minister following their confirmation. Back row, left to right: Maynard Harold Brown*, Jacob Kenneth Olson, Norine Olive Anderson [Reiger]**, Jeanette Gladys Elvebak [Summers]***, Archie Eugene Brown*, and Buehl Jerome Berentson**. Front row, left to right: Frances Elaine DeBoer [Shull], May Olive Horn [Carpenter]***, Pastor Orin Gudmensen (retired 1939), Adella June "June" Elvebak [Speighes], Sylvia Jerone Schillios. There were several different congregations of Lutherans on Fidalgo Island. Our Savior's Norwegian Lutheran Church was organized at Lake Campbell in 1906. Although property was set aside for a church and cemetery just west of the lake, the church itself was never built there. They held services in the Lake Campbell School and a "mission house" there. The site of the cemetery, which still exists, and the church site is the triangular section of land that borders the intersection of Sharpe and Donnell roads.

Norwegian Lutherans organized their own church in Anacortes in 1909 and soon built their own church at 20th Street and O Avenue. In 1936, this congregation merged with the Swedish Lutherans of Zion Lutheran Church who had built their own church at 21st Street and O Avenue by 1911. Sometime during this period, Our Savior's Norwegian Lutheran Church of Lake Campbell also merged with the Anacortes Norwegian Lutheran congregation. In 1942, the congregation changed the church's name to Anacortes Lutheran Church; see WF 1555, 1560.

*Maynard and Archie Brown, were identified by their niece Deanna Carpenter Zachor Aschim, March 5, 2014.

**Norine Anderson Reiger and Buehl Berentson were identified by Norine's brother Chris Anderson on March 11, 2014.

***Jeanette Elvebak Summers, and May Horn Carpenter were identified by Wallie Funk on March 12, 2014.

All persons identified by John E. Lindsay from Confirmation Register from the church, July 8, 2014.

See NOTES for day of birth, confirmation and date of baptism, as written on the Confirmation Register; copy of which is in file with photograph.
Date 1938/05/29
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Organization - Church
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People ANDERSON, Norine Olive "Bootie" [REIGER]
BERENTSON, Buehl Jerome
BROWN, Archie Eugene
BROWN, Maynard Harold
DeBOER, Frances Elaine [SCULL]
ELVEBAK, Adella June "June" [SPEIGHES]
ELVEBAK, Jeanette Gladys [SUMMERS]
HORN, May Olive [CARPENTER]
OLSEN, Jacob Kenneth
SCHILLIOS, Sylvia Jorone
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms confirmation class
Our Savior's Norwegian Lutheran Church
Lake Campbell
cemetery
Lake Campbell School
Mission house
Sharpe road
Donnell road
Swedish Lutherans of Zion Lutheran Church
Anacortes Norwegian Lutheran
Anacortes Lutheran Church
Object Name Negative