|Catalog Number||WF 0149.A,B|
|Caption||See's Brick Yard|
See's Brick Yard had several locations in Anacortes. The first, begun in 1890, was located "on the side of the S & N track, about 3/4 of a mile from Ocean Dock." The second, dated 1912, was located "on 36th, south of the mill near waterfront." This is a view of the latter operation. Top Row: ____?, Clinton Knapp; Bottom Row: "Smoke", Bert See, _____?, Mr. See, _____? After 1921 there was no further listing in the City Directory.
5-15-1890, ANACORTES AMERICAN: " 'See's New Brick Yard Is to Furnish 1,000,000 Brick for Wilson's New Building' John See, the well-known Tacoma brick mason and builder, reached Anacortes less than ten days ago with a plan for a new brick yard, having previously entered into a contract with David Wilson of Tacoma to furnish the latter with one million brick to be used in the construction of the Wilson Hotel Building on P Avenue near 8th. Contractor See has not wasted a minute's time since his arrival. He selected a site for his new brickyard on the side of the S & N track about 3/4 of a mile from the Ocean Dock and the day following the machinery being discharged from the steamer, had it on the ground. It was set up complete on Monday last and the clay pit opened. Next Saturday, the construction of a kiln to burn 75,000 brick will be commenced and within a few weeks, the first consignment of the million contract will be ready to be placed in the walls of the contemplated building. Mr. See, who in an expert in the matter, asserts that the clay from which these brick will be burned is the very best for brick making and that there is an ample supply of it on the island."
|Date||1900s - c. early|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Industry - brickyard
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
SEE, John J.
See's Brick Yard
See Brick Company
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|