Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1133
Caption Methodist Church
Description This view is of the Methodist Church on the north side of 8th Street between Q and R avenues. This church was a prominent feature in many photos of Anacortes' skyline during much of the 1900s. The Methodist-Episcopal Church, begun in Anacortes on 6-28-1890, was one of the first churches organized in Anacortes. On 7-3-1890 the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Methodist Church organized in the city." The 1-15-1891 edition reported, "Revival meeting under the auspices of the Methodist Church are now in full swing in Bowman's Hall." Construction of this building began in 1892. The Panic of 1893 slowed construction and the church wasn't completed until 1902. In October 1934, a severe storm damaged the 110' belltower on the church and knocked over the steeple. See WF 0170, 0873. The steeple was subsequently removed and the belltower lowered to the level of the roof peak as shown in this photo; see also WF 1133. This view shows people standing in front of the church, apparently some sort of work party, complete with hand tools and tractor. In 1940 this tower was remodeled into a new entrance for the church, one that faced west instead of south; see WF 1309-1316, 1136-1139. In 1965 the church relocated to 22nd and H Avenue. The original church was demolished in 1970 and replaced with Harbor House. See also WF 1715-7.
Date 1930s c.-mid
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Church
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Methodist Church
Methodist Episcopal Church
revival meeting
belltower
steeple
Harbor House
Object Name Negative