Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1437.002
Caption Marineer Parade - Indians
Description This image of the Marineers' Pageant Parade is of a group of Indians at 5th and Commercial. Six men lead the group followed by 12 women and children. It is possible these were the same Indians associated with the teepees seen in WF 1419. None of these individuals were identified by elders of the Swinomish tribe during the fall 2002 identification sessions. The view is looking west at Anacortes Drug Company which was located here c. 1903 - c. 1962. Located in the Empire Building on the northwest corner of 5th and Commercial, its phone booth is in the Anacortes Museum collection. The Empire Building was built in 1905. The 4-27-1905 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "New brick building to be erected at corner of 5th and Commercial by Judge Joiner, Attorney Wells and E. L. McLean: Will be leased by Thornburg Mercantile Co." This view show the Indians looping back on Commercial after reaching the northern end of the parade route, a procedure often done at the Marineer Parade. Also see WF 1436. This postcard is labeled, "Marineers' pageant, Anacortes, Aug 20-22, 1927, Brady." The date on the negative is written incorrectly by Brady; it should be 1937. This postcard is a cropped version of WF 1437.001.
Date 1937
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Marineers' Pageant
Parade
Anacortes Drug Company
Indians
Empire Building
phone booth
brick building
Object Name Postcard