Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.IV.053.A,B
Caption Paving 11th and Commercial
Description This view shows the crew paving Commercial for the first time and was taken at 11th Street, looking north. The Methodist Church on 8th Street between Q and R avenues is visible at far right. At left in the foreground is Ed Rogers's "Modern Shoe Repair Shop" which he ran until c. 1938 at this location. North of that shop is Mitchell Auto Garage, managed by B. E. Trafton in 1914. By 1917 Trafton and Sons Autos occupied this spot (1102 Commercial). For another view of these buildings, see WF 0254. The wooden fence on either side of Commercial Avenue indicates that this section of Commercial was built over Fidalgo Bay tideflats, which extended just west of Commercial during this time period. This portion of the bay was filled in in 1930. Note the composition of the Washington Paving Company asphalt crew. The 6-25-1914, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Negroes have bulge on job of laying asphalt." The article stated that the "asphaltum process of paving was discovered and patented by a Venezuela Negro. The patent rights are now owned in this country but the inventor refused to sell until the purchasers agreed that only members of the colored race should be employed in laying asphalt paving and this agreement is carried out as closely as possible. In this section of the country where there are not many Negroes, occasionally one sees a few white men working with asphalt laying crews." This photo gives an excellent view of how Commercial Avenue was paved through the late-1940s. It had a center strip of pavement with dirt "thoroughfares" on either side of the avenue, bordering the curbs, to save money. See Dave Milholland oral history of 9-2000 for additional information on these unpaved thoroughfares and the havoc they wreaked on drivers' tires. Theo Saxrud, Anacortes pioneer of the 1890s, served as inspector on this project. Saxrud was married to Josephine Klement, daughter of Elizabeth Klement who ran a boarding house on 6th Street; Elizabeth Klement was the grandmother of William McCracken. See WF 0112 and 0782. For additional views of paving on Commercial, see WF 0258 - 0260 and WF 5404 (paving machine.)

A) is a Glen Davis reproduction of the original.
Date 1914/ /
Subjects Tool & Equipment
People
Place - Anacortes, WA
People ROGERS, Edward J.
SAXRUD, Theodore "Theo "
KLEMENT, Josephine
KLEMENT, Elizabeth
McCRACKEN, William "Bill" "Willie" "Will" Sr.
TRAFTON, B. E.
Place Anacortes
Search Terms Commercial Avenue
11th Street
paving
Methodist Church
Modern Shoe Repair Shop
Mitchell Auto Garage
Trafton and Sons Autos
Fidalgo Bay tideflats
Washington Paving Company
asphalt crew
Negroes
thoroughfares
inspector
Object Name Print, Photographic