Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1114
Caption Maryland Cafe
Description The Maryland Cafe was located at 314 Commercial from 1922 - c. 1941(on March 4, 1929 the Bennison Block in which the Maryland Cafe was located burned. It was replaced by the McCracken Building which opened in May 1929). By 1948 the cafe had moved to 1712 Commercial. It was listed there through the 1962 city directory, but was not listed in the 1975 directory. George Marinokas was the original proprietor of this business. Located at 314 Commercial, he apparently tried to build his own building just north of that location in 1926. The 10-2-1926 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported Marinakos had purchased the building at 302 Commercial (structure located on southwest corner of Commercial and 3rd, then housing Model Cleaners) and applied for a city permit to remove the upper story or repair the roof. The paper reported the city council was "expected to deny" his request as the building was deemed "a fire trap." Marinokas apparently then decided to build from scratch. The 3-1-1928 edition reported Marinokas was planning to "put up new business block" on the site of his business, and that the old building, previously there, was "being moved to lot on 3rd Street between Commercial and Q. Old timers will recall that prior to the Volstead Act, this section of Anacortes was one of the busy places of the town. The building now being moved was occupied by Chris Seamon's Thirst Emporium, famous for its mint juleps." This apparently refers to Chris Semon's Wine House, c. 1912-1914. Although the lot was cleared, Marinokas never built his business block. In 1929, when the new McCracken Block was erected on the northwest corner of Commercial and 4th, just south of where Marinokas planned to build, Marinokas moved his cafe into that building. The 5-30-1929 issue reported, "Fire proof structure replaces old frame building." The article reported that tenants would open new businesses on June 1 in the new 90' x 100' McCracken Building which had "space for four store rooms, three of which are occupied by Wagner's Cigar Shop, Murdock Brothers Barber Shop and Maryland Cafe." See WF 1201, 1478, 1736. By 1938 the southwest corner lot of Commercial and 3rd had been cleared by Marinokas, but was still vacant. See WF 0261.003, 0261.004, 4232.
Date 1940 c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Maryland Cafe
Model Cleaners
Volstead Act
Wine House
McCracken Block
Wagner's Cigar Shop
Murdock Brothers Barber Shop
Object Name Negative