Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0125.A,B
Caption telephone operators
Description View shows telephone operators Marian Childs Watkinson and Della Davidson. Office located on 2nd floor of Wells Building [Platt Building originally]. 1905 Anacortes City Directory lists Marian Childs as manager. On 6/25/1891, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that Sunset Telephone and Telegraph applied to City Council for franchise to erect telephone poles and service in Anacortes. On 6/12/1902, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that 103 telephones were in service in the city. For earlier view of this same office, see WF 0124. Note the additional signal boards added for operators in this photo compared to WF 0124.

NOTE: Between 1897 and 1902 Josephine Trulson was the operator of the first telephone. After 1906 there were two operators.
Date 1905 c
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Communication - telephone
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People WATKINSON, Marian Childs
DAVIDSON, Della
Place Anacortes,WA
Search Terms telephone
Sunset Telephone and Telegraph
Wells Building
Platt Building
telephone operators
telephone poles
Object Name Print, Photographic