|Catalog Number||WF 2422|
|Caption||Luvera's Grocery - Palmolive Sale|
Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started this grocery on November 22, 1922 on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building, 702 Commercial. The Blackmore Building was built c. 1890 and was later known as the Hensler Building and owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera's father Nicola was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy who immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicola, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul. The business had a variety of names over the years: Luvera's Fruit and Grocery, Luvera's Grocery, etc. Throughout the years his store was in business, Paul Luvera ran numerous contests and events in his store. They had different and catchy titles such as "Italian Spaghetti Feed" to celebrate the store remodel of 1928, "Oldest Grandmother" in April 1931, "Best Fiddler" and "Oldest Father" in 1931, "Guess Anacortes' population" and "Mickey Mouse Club" in 1930, plus yearly events each November to celebrate the store's anniversary. See also WF 2417-2419, 1066-1078, 1446, 1641, 1542, 2417-2427, 2445, 4118-4177.
Note the sign for "Dr. Packard, dentist," on the upper floor. Dr. Lyle Packard began business on the second floor of the Blackmore Building c. mid-1920s. He remained at this location until c. 1948 when he relocated to the "Medical-Dental Building" (Empire Building) at 418-1/2 Commercial.
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|