View of Old Oregon Mill, which, in 1911, became the latest incarnation of mills at this site on the west side of Fidalgo Bay, at the foot of 17th Street between Q and R avenues. The first mill, begun there c. 1891, was the McCann Mill (possibly also called the Skagit Mill? 3-23-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that James McCann's wife, Mary, was suing him for divorce and accused him, "James McCann, manager of the Skagit Mill," for "habitual drunkenness, and bodily injury." ) At this time the mill was apparently run by Clothier and English, and McCann simply managed it. (For more information on Clothier and English, see "First Views: An early History of Skagit County", p. 40) See 5-20-1926 ANACORTES AMERICAN biographical article on Valentine Funk for more information on McCann Mill. Valentine Funk was the grandfather of Wallie Funk, donor of this collection.
Around 1896 the mill was acquired by W.M. Rodgers of Seattle, who operated it as Rodgers Mill until late 1910. (See WF 0504 for information on Rodgers Mill.) In 1911 the mill was acquired by Adams, Chapman, and Henderson, who renamed it the Old Oregon Mill. The 3-9-1911 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Old Oregon Mill to ship 6,000,000' to foreign ports." On 6-20-1911 it reported, "New refuse burner at Old Oregon Mill: 30' in diameter, 50' tall." An article on 1-25-1912 stated, "Old Oregon starts up after a shut down of a full two months." Mill had been completely overhauled; 125 men would now work there as "there has been a noticeable change for the better in the lumber market." On 4-20-1913 there was a report on "saw mill plant of Old Oregon Manufacturing Company." By 1914 the Old Oregon Mill had apparently fallen on hard times according to the following 2-21-1918 article: "Old Oregon mill, idle for past three years.: In 1917, Everett Trust and Savings, who held the mortgage, foreclosed on the mill and in 1918 the mill was purchased by the Morrison Mill Company. (See WF 0490 for more information about another mill acquired by the Morrison brothers, Fidalgo Lumber and Box.) The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 2-21-1918 that the new mill would employ "about 175 men once it is in operation. It is one of the few mills on Puget Sound that can handle timber up to 90' in length." (See WF 0500 for more information on the Morrison Mill.)
NOTE: There are several key structures visible on Commercial Avenue that help date this image. From left to right: Wilson Building (SW corner of 8th and Commercial), Moyer or Keystone Building (NE corner of 7th and Commercial, built 1910), Vendome Hotel (NE corner of 6th and Commercial), McNaught Building (NE corner of 5th and Commercial). The Elks Building (currently City Hall) at NW corner of 6th and Q Avenue was not built until 1915 and its absence helps date this image. Published in 8-6-1959 "ANACORTES AMERICAN Pioneer Edition, section. 2-5.
|Photographer||JUDD, Charles LeRoy|
Industry - Mill - Lumber
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk|
Old Oregon Mill
Morrison mill Company
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|