Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1330
Caption St. Mary's dedication
Description This is the fourth in a series of six photos documenting the dedication of the new St. Mary Catholic Church on the northwest corner of 7th Street and N Avenue. This is a view of a group of priests in front of the altar. The first Catholic services on Fidalgo Island were held in the home of Mary Benn in Deception/Fidalgo City in 1889. In 1904, the island's first Catholic Church was dedicated in Anacortes on the northwest corner of 7th and N Avenue by the Most Reverend Edward O'Dea, Bishop of Nisqually; Nisqually Diocese is now known as the Archdiocese of Seattle. In 1910 that church was moved west, to the middle of the block between M and N. That same year, Father Gustav Treunet came to Anacortes from Elma, Washington. Prior to that, Anacortes Catholics had been served by the LaConner priest who also held services at the Swinomish Reservation. Treunet served the parish until 1948. St. Mary Catholic Church was heavily damaged by fire in January 1924. The structure was replaced in 1929 by the church pictured here. The new church, constructed in "Tudor-Gothic style, stucco stone-imitation," cost $40,000. It was dedicated by Bishop O'Dea on October 20, 1929; he had also dedicated the original church. See articles in the 1-14-1924 and 10-20-1929 issues of the ANACORTES AMERICAN. This church served Anacortes Catholics until May 7, 1979, when a new church was dedicated at a "Hillcrest" site near Grandview Cemetery.
Date 1929, October 20
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - Church
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People O'DEA, Edward, Bishop Rev.
TREUNET, Gustav, Father
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms St. Mary Catholic Church
dedication
canopy
priests
bishop
Swinomish Reservation
Tudor-Gothic style
Hillcrest
Object Name Negative