|Catalog Number||WF 2237.A,B|
|Caption||Merchants team - 1952 fastball league champions|
This image is of the Merchants baseball team sponsored Anacortes merchants and managed by Walt Weiss. A small order sheet of who ordered prints in included in folder WF 2236, which is probably the names of players pictured here: Best, Weiss, Owens, Nelson, Granville, Roller, Stewart, and Ealy. The back of the photo also lists "Mulholland." Note the bat boy sitting in front. See also WF 2236.
Baseball appeared early on Fidalgo Island. A form of the game was played in the 1820s with the first formal rules established in 1845. By 1875 it was being played in Whatcom County, which at that time included Skagit County. On 8-3-1889 the ANACORTES PROGRESS reported on a baseball game at Anacortes. By the following year, with the boom of the town, several baseball clubs had been formed, including an Indian club. In its report on the July 4th festivities in town, the 7-10-1890 ANACORTES AMERICAN stated, "The game was for $50.00 and the prize was won by the Indians." By that time, Anacortes had a "baseball park." It was located near the Skagit Mill (future Morrison Mill at 17th and R) as evidenced by this 7-6-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN article. "Last week a junior base ball nine called the White Caps engaged in a baseball contest with the shingle weavers of the town and were victorious by score of 21 to 9. Game played in field near Skagit Mill." That field served ball players until well into the 1930s. By 1905 the town had numerous teams, among them the Anacortes Invincibles. It was just one of many town teams, most sponsored by merchants, that provided hours of entertainment to townspeople during the spring and summer months in an era when television radio and computers were not yet in use.
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|