Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0873.A,B,C
Caption Methodist Church
Description This is a view of the Methodist Church, located on the north side of 8h Street between Q and R avenues. This church was a prominent feature in many photos of the Anacortes skyline during much of the 1900s. Here the church looks north from 8th Street. The Methodist-Episcopal Church, which began in Anacortes 6-28-1890, was one of the first churches organized in the city. On 7-3-1890, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Methodist Church organized in this city." The 1-15-1891 paper reported, "Revival meeting under the auspices of the Methodist Church are now in full swing in Bowman's Hall." Construction of the church began in 1892. The Panic of 1893 slowed construction and the church wasn't completed until 1902. In October 1934, a severe storm damaged the 110' belltower and knocked the steeple over; see WF 0170. The steeple was subsequently removed and the belltower lowered to the level of the roof peak as shown in this photo; see also WF 1133. In 1939 this tower was remodeled into a new entrance for the church, one that faced west instead of south; see WF 1309-1316. In 1965 the church relocated to 22nd and H Avenue and the 8th Street building was demolished.
Date 1930 c.
Photographer unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects People
Place - Anacortes, WA

Organization - Church
Structure
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Methodist Church
Methodist Episcopal Church
steeple
belltower
Object Name Print, Photographic