Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1843.A,B,C
Caption Fire Department pumper truck
Description This image is of a Anacortes Fire Department Kenworth pumper truck at Causland Park. Kenworth Fire Trucks were made in Seattle. The company began business in 1915 as the Gerlinger Motor Company. In 1923, new owners of the business renamed it Kenworth, and , in 1932, began building fire trucks. This photo shows one of the company's earlier models. The Anacortes Fire Department got its start soon after the city was platted in January 1890. On January 25, 1890, the ANACORTES PROGRESS stated, "Now is the time for everyone to start thinking about organizing a good fire department," evidence that from the very first Anacortes thought about fire prevention. This fire hall was built soon afterward located at 1107 5th Street, on south side of 5th Street between O Avenue (southwest corner) and N Avenue which also housed the jail and Anacortes City Hall in 1892. The April 7, 1892 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Firemen move into their new fire hall quarters which are in city hall." The Fire Department remained in this building until 1953, when it moved to 12th Street between Commercial and O. See also WF 1840, 1841.
Date 1930s c. mid
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes Fire Department
Causland Park
Pumper truck
Kenworth
Gerlinger Motor Company
Object Name Print, Photographic