|Catalog Number||WF 2143.A,B|
|Caption||Deception Pass Bridge|
This group of eleven men and women are standing on Deception Pass Bridge either before or at the dedication ceremony. The man standing on the far left is Amel Schreiber; the 1937 city directory listed him as a real estate salesman in Anacortes at 921 Commercial Avenue. Paul Luvera, owner of Luvera's Grocery, is standing in the rear, the third man from right. The man and woman standing in front at left are Margaret and Joseph McNary who owned the Anacortes Mercury. The other may be from Anacortes Chamber of Commerce.
Before a bridge spanned the waters of Deception Pass, a ferry system transported travelers between Bout's Point (now called Yokeko Point) on Fidalgo Island and Hoypus Point on Whidbey Island. The idea for the Deception Pass Bridge came from Captain George Morse. As a State Representative in 1907, Morse introduced into the Legislature a bill authorizing construction of a bridge over the pass. Although the bill passed and money was appropriated, the measure was later thrown out of the Legislature. In 1928, a Whidbey Island citizen's group organized another unsuccessful attempt to build the bridge. A new bill, introduced and passed by the Legislature in 1933, finally led to the construction of the bridge. Funding was provided by the Washington Emergency Relief Administration, Island and Skagit Counties, and the Federal Public Works Administration. The contract to build the bridge was awarded to Puget Construction Company on June 22, 1934. Workers started excavation for the pier supports on August 6, 1934, and completed the construction on July 25, 1935. 12,000 people celebrated the opening of the bridge at the dedication ceremony on July 31, 1935.
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Structure - Bridge
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
McNARY, Joseph O. "Joe"
SCHREIBER, Amel F.
Deception Pass bridge
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|