|Catalog Number||WF 1051|
|Caption||Jackson Funeral Home hearse|
View of Jackson Funeral Home hearse, 807 Commercial. The Island Theater, which re-opened in 1941 where the Paramount Theater had previously been, is visible on the SE corner of Commercial and 8th. The film advertised, "Nob Hill," was released in 1945. The 9-14-1977 paper reported, "Island Theater is being closed and building sold to Island Savings and Loan."
Until c. 1934, Haugen's Funeral Home was the only funeral home in Anacortes. That year, however, the city directory listed Groven Mortuary at 807 Commercial. By the 1937 directory, Groven Mortuary had been sold to Harry D. Jackson who lived at 901 8th Street and advertised his business at 807 Commercial as "Funeral directors and licensed embalmers, ambulance service." Jackson operated Jackson Funeral Home through the 1954 city directory. A spectacular fire on June 26, 1952, destroyed the garage, three cars, and the chapel and adjoining rooms. This view shows the southern edge of the Paramount [Island] Theater Building; the central building, housing Jackson's Funeral Home, is believed to be the J. R. Brown Building, constructed in 1891; see 1-21-1891 and 2-12-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN. The building to the south is believed to have housed Jackson's hearse, and was the building that burned in 1952. Following Jackson, the business became Bryson Engdahl Mortuary until 1977. The building was then converted to a restaurant by Village Pizza, which still operates as of November 2013.
|Photographer||BRADY, Ferd (in his collection retrieved by Wallie Funk)|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Haugen Funeral Home
E. S. Dodge and Son's Funeral Parlor
Paramount Theater Building
J. R. Brown Building
Bryson Engdahl Mortuary
Jackson Funeral Home