Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.IV.064
Caption Island Transfer
Description Island Transfer Company was located on 3rd between Commercial and Q. This photo is an excellent "transition" image of the changes that occurred when horse power was replaced by automotive power in the early 1900s. Note the former sign of "Livery Feed and Transfer" which as been supplanted by Island Transfer. This change started occurring in Anacortes c. 1908. First recorded ad found for automotive transfer by a livery service was that of Anacortes Transfer Company in 1910, which advertised "Livery, Hacks, Carriages, Autos." The first advertisement for Island Transfer Company is found in 1912 directory.
ISLAND TRANSFER COMPANY
1910 - no entry
1912 - first ad; general transferring and livery, 3rd and Q
1913 - Island Transfer Co. under management of Mondhan and Sons, "Office and stables at 3rd
and Q"
1917 - Island Transfer Co. (Mondhan and Sons) General transferring and storage, auto trucks
for long distance hauling. 907 3rd. Tel. 1471
1922 - no ad
1927 - Island Transfer Co. 3rd and Commercial #1471
1929 - Island Transfer (W. J. Royse) Pianos and household goods moved, stored and shipped
309 Commercial, Tel 1471
1962 - Last year listed in museum's collection of Anacortes Directories
Date 1915 c.
Photographer JUDD, Charles LeRoy - possibly
Subjects Transportation - Land
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk
People MONDHAN,
ROYSE, W. J.
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Island Transfer Company
Livery Feed and Transfer
Anacortes Transfer
storage
shipping
Object Name Print, Photographic