Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.V.083
Description Capt. Matheson's codfish plant at the foot of K on Guemes Channel. Captain John A. Matheson, 1849-1933, was born in Nova Scotia to parents who had immigrated there from Scotland, according to the 1900 U. S. Census information. Matheson then immigrated to the United States in 1872. In 1891 he came to Anacortes and pioneered the codfishing industry. The 7-30-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Codfish industry is being established at Anacortes by Captain Matheson using the schooner LIZZIE COLBY which he had built in Essex, Mass." The 9-17-1891 edition reported Matheson was erecting the "Trade in Cod" building. According to the 8-17-1893 issue he was sending codfish shipments to the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii). On 1-5-1905 the paper reported that Matheson was adding the schooner FANNY DUTARD to his fleet, a companion to the LIZZIE COLBY. Matheson Fisheries was located at the foot of K Avenue on the Guemes Channel. Matheson also dealt heavily in real estate, from the Matheson Building at the NW corner of 8th and Commercial, to his 1922 purchase of Skagit County's first courthouse in Mt. Vernon at 316 Pine; the building is still owned by Matheson's descendents, the Gilberts. The Matheson home was located at 1201 5th Street. See photos of his home in Wallie Funk 1950s photographs; also see WF 4244, WF 0390.
Date 1901
Photographer BURDON, Lance
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Industry - Seafood Processing
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk
People MATHESON, John A., Captain
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms codfish plant
Trade in Cod building
Sandwich Islands
FANNY DUTARD
LIZZIE COLBY
Object Name Print, Photographic