|Catalog Number||WF 1742.A,B,C,D|
|Caption||Chamber of Commerce departing for Victoria|
This group heading to Victoria was the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce and possibly the Anacortes Rotary. Anacortes Chamber of Commerce members, as well as Rotarians, frequently rented conveyances for excursions to the San Juans and Victoria during the 1910s and 1920s in an effort to improve tourist and business relations between those communities and Anacortes. For example, see the 5-29-1924 ANACORTES AMERICAN article about the Rotarians going to Victoria via "Big blue stage of Anacortes and Mount Vernon Stage Company." It is probable that the images WF 1723-1727 document one of those trips. The men pictured here appear to be standing on the Curtis Dock at the foot of O Avenue. See also WF 1743.
The promotion of Anacortes by organized business groups began soon after the city was platted in January 1890. The 1-18-1890 ANACORTES ROGRESS reported the incorporation of the first booster group, the Anacortes Improvement Club. Six months later, on June 26, 1890, the ANACORTES AMERICAN announced the Chamber of Commerce would build their meeting hall on P/Commercial Avenue. April of 1892 saw the formation of the Anacortes Business Men's Association. The Anacortes Board of Trade formed in January 1893, followed by the Anacortes Commercial Club in April 1901, and, finally the Anacortes Merchants Association in September 1903. The Merchants Association was apparently formed in opposition to the efforts of the Commercial Club, but the latter ended up being the club with longevity, judging from articles in the ANACORTES AMERICAN; see 1-19-1893, 4-4-1901, and 9-10-1903 issues of the paper. Support from the business community for the Commercial Club appears to have been a bit slow in coming, however. Three years after it formed, the 7-6-1906 paper reported, "Commercial Club meets, now has 70, will become active working body." This organization may have changed its name in later years to become the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, which was in existence by 1912. The Chamber actively supported the town's merchants, worked to attract business and industry, and promoted Anacortes in Washington State business circles. During the first decades of the twentieth century, the Chamber played a key role in local government decisions and politics as well. Ferd Brady was very active in the Chamber of Commerce during his years in Anacortes. The 6-23-1933 paper reported he had suggested an "advertising folder" with photographs to promote Anacortes and Fidalgo Island tourism. He took numerous publicity photos for the Chamber's benefit and use, and many found their way to Seattle newspapers for publication.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Transportation - land
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Chamber of Commerce
Anacortes Improvement Club
Anacortes Business Men's Association
Anacortes Board of Trade
Anacortes Commercial Club
Anacortes Merchants Association
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|