|Catalog Number||WF 0266.002|
Interior view of E. A. Phillips' store when it was located in the Platt Building at NW corner of 4th Street and Commercial Avenue. People from left to right are: Harry Deane, Maude Trafton and E. A. Phillips. Eugene Phillips started his business in 1901, buying out E. S. Kasch grocery (see WF 0119). In 1911, Phillips constructed a new building on the NE corner of 4th Street and Commercial Avenue, (317-319 Commercial Avenue, Phillips Building), moving into it in July 1912. The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 1-27-1921, that E. A. Phillips had died in his sleep at the age of 52. During the Depression years (1929-1940), numerous small and short-lived businesses from used furniture stores to Pee Wee golf occupied the Phillips Building. Basically, however, the structure remained largely vacant for the next twenty years until the 2-28-1946 ANACORTES AMERICAN noted that the building was being put into shape again. As of 2003 the building had been vacant and for sale since 2000. See also WF 0136.
1902 Phillips, E. A. - cigars, tobacco, feed [Platt Building?] - Commercial Avenue between 4th and 5th streets
1904 (9-15) Phillip's Grocery and Hardware takes over former site of Anacortes
1905 (11-30) Phillips the grocer and hardware merchant has enjoyed an enviable trade
during the year for which he is very thankful. He has one of the leading grocery
businesses in Skagit County.
1911 (4-7) Phillips has let contract for his basement
(5-18) "Work started on foundation of stone basement for a new modern building
to be erected by E. A. Phillips at the corner of 4th St. and Commercial"
(10-12) Foundation for Phillips building is i
1912 (2-22) E. A. Phillips to build two-story building of reinforced concrete at 4th and
(7-1) Phillips moves into new store at 4th and Commercial
1917-1922 219 Commercial: "Phillips, E. A. Inc. hardware, paints, oils, glass, groceries,
flour, feed, furniture, stoves and ranges"
1918 Basketeria: Moved into store occupied by Palmer's Sanitary Grocery, E. A. Phillips
1927 Gone from City Directory
1946 (2-28) Phillips Building being put into shape after being vacant for twenty years
? Bowling alley on second floor
1972 Kempthorne Galleries in Phillips Building at 4th and Commercial
1984 Square Rigger Restaurant
1989 Purchased by Irv York
1990-1998 Rented as storage to Tracy's Furniture
1998-2000 Purchased by SunSystems, grand opening in November 1998
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
PHILLIPS, Eugene A.
Phillips Grocery and Hardware
Palmer's Sanitary Grocery
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|