Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 6345.001-.002
Caption McNaught Building
Description McNaught Building. Two (2) views of exterior of building. Structure was built by James McNaught in the spring of 1890 at the corner of 8th and I Avenue. In the spring of 1904, R. L. Bradley, of the Anacortes Mercantile Company (AMC) purchased the building. The May 12, 1904 issue of the ANACORTES AMERICAN newspaper announced that AMC was ready to move the building, an effort that took the entire summer as movers rolled the McNaught on large timbers to Commercial Avenue. September 1, 1904 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that the building was in its new location and ready for business [located at the northeast corner of Commercial and 5th Street]. Anacortes Mercantile Co. remained in the McNaught Building until 1931 when it was taken over by Archie Allan. Allan came to Anacortes from Battle Creek, Michigan, in 1905 and opened a number of different businesses in varying locations through the years. August 31, 1905, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported "Archie Allan, of Battle Creek, Michigan, purchases business and grocery stock of E. S. Cook in the Nelson Addition", at 23rd and S Avenue. Allan's White Market was at 21st and Commercial from 1913 on; that same year, he operated a slaughter and dairy house in the Skyline area which provided milk and beef for his store. On November 27, 1930, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that Allan had purchased the McNaught Building from Lloyd Foster [who had purchased the building from R. L. Bradley's estate following Bradley's death in 1927]. After that purchase, Foster completely remodeled the building's office and apartment space on the 2nd and 3rd floors at a cost of $15,000. The ANACORTES AMERICAN, on July 30, 1931, stated: "32 year old landmark passes into oblivion. Anacortes Mercantile Company will become Allan's Market." [Allan also ran another store on Commercial Avenue on the corner of 21st; See WF 1269]. Allan was in business in the McNaught Building until at least 1962. [Not listed in the 1975 directory]. For additional views of the McNaught Building see: WF 0057, WF 0082, WF 0088, WF 0121; WF 1202, WF 1217, WF 1427.
Date 1950s c.
Photographer Anacortes American Staff photo
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Structure
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People McNAUGHT, James
BRADLEY, R. Lee
FOSTER, Lloyd
ALLAN, Archibold "Archie" MacGregor
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms McNaught
Majestic
5th Street and Commercial Avenue
Object Name Negative