|Catalog Number||WF 2059|
|Caption||Coos Bay Pulp Mill|
This view of Coos Bay Pulp Mill documents the changes in the decade or so since the image in WF 2056.Some of the buildings are gone and a conveyer shed has been built at right side of photo. The name of the business, "Coos Bay Pulp", may be seen of the office building at left of center. The image is dated by the "47" on the water tower, obviously marking efforts of the 1946 and 1947 Anacortes High School graduating classes.
The 1-20-1927 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that, "Pulp industry on west coast started in Anacortes." The article was apparently referring to Fidalgo Pulp Manufacturing Company at 17th and R, just south of the Morrison Mill. The 11-27-1924 paper reported that, "Erection of pulp mill in city will start at once," and that the mill was being brought in by subscription. According to the 1-8-1925 paper, "Erection of pulp plant building begins Friday: Fidalgo Pulp Manufacturing Company." On 12-26-1926 the message was, "Fidalgo Pulp Mill doing well after first successful year." The 8-16-1928 paper reported the mill was about to expand. By the following year, however, the mill had been bought by Puget Sound Pulp and Timber, which established its "Fidalgo Division" at the mill and renamed it. By 1948, Coos Bay Pulp had taken over the mill and operated there until c. late-1950s; by the 1962 city directory it was gone.
See also WF 1702,3 for views of the Coos Bay Pulp Company picnic and WF 2045-2056 for possible photos of their Christmas Party. The 6-22-1955 ANACORTES AMERICAN editorial "Salute to Coos Bay" covered the expansion of the Coos Bay Pulp complex.
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Industry - Mill - Pulp
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Coos Bay Pulp Mill
Fidalgo Pulp Manufacturing Company
Puget Sound Pulp and Timber
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|