Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.IV.122.003.A,B
Caption Luvera's Store
Description Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started this grocery on November 22, 1922 on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building, at 702 Commercial. This structure was built c.1890; later known as the Hensler Building, owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera's father Nicolas, was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy, he immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicolas, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul, a business that had a variety of different names over the years: Luvera's Fruit and Grocery, Luvera's Grocery, etc. In 1953 the Blackmore building and Luvera's store, was extensively remodeled including removing the 2nd story from the building. Paul Luvera retired in 1957. Note the sign for "Dr. Packard, Dentist"; Dr. Lyle Packard began business on the second floor of the Blackmore Building (then known as the Hensler Building) c.mid-1920s. He remained at this location until c.1948 when he relocated to the Medical-Dental Building (later called the Empire Building) at 418-1/2 Commercial.
Subjects unknown
Anacortes
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk
Place Anacortes
Object Name Print, Photographic