Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.III.024.002
Caption Columbian School
Description View of Columbian School four years after completion. (April 6, 1896) The school was built at 19th and J Avenue. It opened in 1892 and was named for the upcoming World's Columbian Exposition, set to open in Chicago in 1893 to mark the 400th anniversary of "Columbus's discovery of America." The 10-8-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the cornerstone had been laid for the school, a gothic creation with a tall bell tower that afforded the best view in town. The 9-5-1892 edition reported, "Columbian School opens for first students." Columbian School, which initially served all grades, became the sole site of Anacortes High School and a Junior High School c. 1923. When the new high school was constructed in 1931, Columbian School became known as the Junior High School. The school was demolished in 1965. Also see "First Views: An Early History of Skagit County", p. 95.
Date 1896, April 6
Photographer WIGHTMAN, C. E.
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Organization - School
People
Structure - School
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Columbian School
World's Columbian Exposition
Chicago
Object Name Print, Photographic