|Description||View of Columbian School four years after completion (April 6, 1896). The school was built at 19th and J Avenue. It opened in 1892 and was named for the upcoming World's Columbian Exposition, set to open in Chicago in 1893 to mark the 400th anniversary of "Columbus's discovery of America." The 10-8-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the cornerstone had been laid for the school, a gothic creation with a tall bell tower that afforded the best view in town. The 9-5-1892 edition reported, "Columbian School opens for first students." Columbian School, which initially served all grades, became the sole site of Anacortes High School and a Junior High School c. 1923. When the new high school was constructed in 1931, Columbian School became known as the Junior High School. The school was demolished in 1965. Also see "First Views: An Early History of Skagit County", p. 95.|
|Date||1896, April 6|
Structure - School
SUMNER, A. A., Mrs.
World's Columbian Exposition
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|