|Catalog Number||WF 1757.A,B|
|Caption||Lions Club carousel - 1937 Marineer Pageant|
|Description||This carousel at an unknown location was sponsored by the Anacortes Lions Club during the Anacortes Marineers' Pageant; the pageant began the same year as the club's charter. Club members sit and stand in front of the carousel. Front row, right to left: Orville Wilmont, Gilbert Hull, Harold Trulson, unknown, Ernie Brazas, unknown, Ernie Hillren, Alphonse Brazas, unknown, unknown, Dr. Lawrence Nicholson (dentist), and three unknowns. Back row: Fred Cartwright (Anacortes banker) stands fifth from right. Edward Schwartz, Anacortes civic leader, is the third man from left side in rear, with a merry-go-round horse over his shoulder. The identification was by Margaret Hull. The Anacortes Lions Club was chartered on January 7, 1937, primarily by young men in the community who wanted an alternative to the older fraternal organizations (Elks, Eagles, Oddfellows) that were more for "the old timers and Commercial Avenue businessmen". This information was given by Margaret Hull on 3-29-2003, wife of the club's first president. The national Lions Club organization was begun by Chicago businessman Melvin Jones in Chicago in 1917. "He believed that local business clubs should expand their horizons from purely professional concerns to the betterment of their communities and the world at large."|
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place -Anacortes, WA
Organization - Fraternal
Event - Marineers Pageant
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
BRAZAS, Ernest "Ernie"
CARTWRIGHT, Frederick "Fred" G.
HILLEREN, Ernest "Ernie"
NICHOLSON, Laurence Elwood, Dr., DDS
SCHWARTZ, Edgar M. "Ed"
TRULSON, Harold Carl
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|