|Catalog Number||WF 1572|
|Caption||1937 Marineer Pageant - Royalty|
The Marineer Royalty is dressed in pirate apparel for the first Marineers' Pageant Parade in 1937. They ride atop a car decorated with a skull and crossbones. Miss Virginia Stankus was named queen because she sold the most tickets to the Davey Jones dance held on the last night of the pageant. Her attendants were not named in the 8-21-1937 ANACORTES DAILY MERCURY. See another picture of this car in WF 1573.
Buildings include, right to left:
Central Furniture (begun here c. 1926 through mid-1940s),
The Bank of Commerce on the southwest corner of Commercial and 6th which began in the Platt Building in 1904 and moved to this location in 1926 when this new building was constructed by William McCracken. In 1937, at the height of the Depression, the Bank of Commerce closed. The building remained vacant until is was occupied by People's National Bank in 1939. See the 1-7-1926 and 1-13-1926 ANACORTES AMERICAN. In January 2009 this building is occupied by Gere-a-Deli.
To the left of the bank is Snyder's Pharmacy,
Kingsley Insurance is in the Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
Event - Parade
Transportation - Land
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Bank of Commerce
People's National Bank
Matt Kingsley Insurance
Goodwin - Benedict - Havekost Building