Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1072
Caption Luvera's Market - meat counter
Description This staff of five is standing behind the meat counter of Luvera's Grocery. At far right stand Nicolas and Paul Luvera. Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started this grocery on November 22, 1922, on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building at 702 Commercial. This structure was built as the Blackmore Building c.1890; later known as the Hensler Building, owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera's father Nicolas, was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy, he immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicolas, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul, a business that had a variety of different names over the years: Luvera's Fruit and Grocery, Luvera's Grocery, etc. In 1953 the Blackmore building and Luvera's store, was extensively remodeled including removing the 2nd story from the building. Paul Luvera retired in 1957. See also: WF-1446 for Luvera float in Marineers' Pageant; WF 2417-2466, 4120 and WF 5685 and D.IV.122.001-003
Date 1930s c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People LUVERA, Paul
LUVERA, Nicola
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Luvera's Store
grocery
702 Commercial Avenue
Blackmore Building
Hensler Building
Empire Building
dentist
Medical-Dental Building
meat counter
Object Name Print, photographic