|Catalog Number||WF 2281.A,B,C|
|Caption||Island Transfer and Storage Co. truck|
View of Island Transfer truck on Commercial at 4th. Island Transfer Company was located on 3rd between Commercial and Q. The first recorded ad found for automotive transfer by a livery service was that of Anacortes Transfer Company in 1910, which advertised "Livery, Hacks, Carriages, Autos." The first advertisement for Island Transfer Company is found in 1912 directory.
ISLAND TRANSFER COMPANY
1910 - no entry
1912 - first ad; general transferring and livery, office and stables, 3rd and Q
1913 - Island Transfer Co. under management of Mondhan and Sons, "Office and stables at 3rd
1917 - Island Transfer Co. (Mondhan and Sons) General transferring and storage, auto trucks
for long distance hauling. 907 3rd. Tel. 1471
1922 - no ad
1927 - Island Transfer Co. 3rd and Commercial #1471
1929 - Island Transfer (WJ Royse) Pianos and household goods moved, stored and shipped
309 Commercial, Tel 1471
1962 - Last year listed in museum's collection of Anacortes Directories
One of the Mondhans may be one of the men pictured in this photograph. Behind the truck is the Platt Building, located on the southwest corner of 4th and Commercial; note the second-floor offices off attorneys. Also note the sign for Henry Davey's real estate and insurance business behind the truck. Davey was located at 408 Commercial from c. 1927 to the mid-1940s. A sign for Wheeler and Nobles Mens Wear is partially visible above the truck. This clothing store was located at 406 Commercial in 1927, but the 8-9-1928 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that Wheeler and Nobles was moving to 8th and Commercial; this helps date this image. See also WF 4343.
NOTE: This photograph originally belonged to Pat Mondhan and was loaned to Mr. Funk.
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Transportation - Land
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Wheeler and Nobles Mens Wear
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|