Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.III.056
Caption Rev. Tade home
Description This was the 2nd home of Congregationalist, Rev. Ewing O. and Amanda Tade. Located in Anacortes in the vicinity of 32nd and H Avenue (Lake Forest Drive, later known as Heart Lake Road). Rev. & Mrs. Tade, along with their children Irving and Elsie, came to Fidalgo Island in 1877 from Boston by way of Cape Horn and California. With him, arrived his close friend Deacon William Hagadorn and family. Rev. Tade purchased 160 acres which he platted to be a "temperance town". On May 26, 1883, the NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported Tade had surveyed and platted a town site on his place and is advertising lots for sale" and two years later opened the Alden Academy, for Christian education. The city of Bancroft, as Tade named it, was to be a place "free of the evils of civilization" and be a positive environment for the children attending the Academy. His town of Bancroft was short-lived. On May 31, 1884, the NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported Tade and family had left Anacortes for Oakland, CA. [NOTE: This photo was not taken at time of Tade's occupancy, but during ownership by Mr. and Mr. Charrem.]
Date 1890, May
Photographer BOOEN, J. O.
Subjects Place - Bancroft, WA
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - home
People TADE, Ewing O., Reverend
TADE, Irving
TADE, Elsie
HAGADORN, William "Will"
Place Bancroft, WA [later part of Anacortes, WA]
Search Terms Alden Academy
Bancroft
Object Name Print, Photographic