Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0263
Description This colored enlargement of a postcard is of the exterior view of the Carnegie Library, built on the SW corner of 8th and M Avenue between 1909 and 1910 as the result of an intensive effort to bring a public library to Anacortes. In 1908 a committee formed to ascertain if Carnegie funds for a library could be obtained. By May, the "ladies of Anacortes" and Anacortes Federation of Women's Clubs" had mounted a subscription drive to raise the funds necessary to match a Carnegie grant, according to the 5-7-1908, ANACORTES AMERICAN. In July, Anacortes City Council adopted Carnegie Library Resolution, authorizing a $1000 tax levy for library maintenance, the donation of a building site, and $1500 in cash and books from public subscription (7-9-1908 article). That December, Mayor Davey of Anacortes received a letter from Carnegie Library Foundation that stated Carnegie would send $10,000 funds for a new library building (12-24-1908 article). The Great Northern Railroad donated the building site of four city lots, and the city agreed to maintain the building and raise funds for books and a librarian (12-24-1908 article). Cox, Piper and Carder of Bellingham, who also designed the BELLINGHAM HERALD building, were the architects for the building, and the 6-10-1909 paper reported that the architect's "working plans" were sent to Carnegie for approval. "Building to be made of Skagit cement" from Concrete. The cornerstone was laid for the building in September 1909, and the library opened to the public on Christmas 1910 as a "reading room only." Luella Howard was hired as the librarian (WF 3990), and in March 1911 books were available for loan to the public. The formal opening and dedication of the Anacortes Carnegie Library took place that month with University of Washington History Professor Edmond Meany as the keynote speaker; he presented a lecture on Indian lore. (4-7-1911 article). In 1966, the Anacortes City Council heard plans for creating a new library at the old hospital site which had been vacated after construction of Island Hospital in 1962 (3-17-1966 article). In 1967, the City Council okayed $53,827 for converting the old Anacortes Hospital into the city library (3-9-1967 article). Shortly afterward, the Anacortes History Board proposed converting the Carnegie Building into the Anacortes Museum (12-23-1967 article). On 3-14-1968, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that the Museum Board would move into the Carnegie Building. The Museum officially opened to the public at the Carnegie Building with a "Heritage Show" (8-3-1968 article). In 1970, Wallie Funk dedicated the museum building at a public ceremony to its "new use" as the Anacortes Museum of History and Art. A plaque honoring Funk's contributions to the museum's founding is mounted near the main doors of the museum. The 12-1-1977 issue of the paper reported that the Washington State Historic Preservation Office had accepted the Anacortes Carnegie Library on the National Register of Historic Places. Note the lights on either side of the front stairs that were there originally; these were gone by the time of this photo and replicas were installed in 2002. Also see WF 0264.
Date 1915 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Structure
Place - Anacortes, WA
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Carnegie Library
Anacortes Museum
Carnegie Library Foundation
Great Northern Railroad
architects
Concrete
reading room
Anacortes History Board
Anacortes Museum of History and Art
National Register of Historic Places
lights
Object Name Print, Photographic