|Catalog Number||WF 0080.A,B|
City Bakery was owned by Valentine and Barbara Funk. Funk came to Anacortes in 1889; in 1890 he constructed the building at 517 P and opened City Bakery (listed in 1891 city directory). Later he expanded to include groceries. The business was advertised as Funk Groceries in the 6-18-1896, ANACORTES AMERICAN. In 1898, Funk purchased the Nobar Hotel and moved it to the Northwest corner of P Ave and 6th. They moved their business across the street to this building at that time; "furniture and crockery" were added to their stock by 1900, and eventually they reduced their stock to just hardware.
Schmidt's Pharmacy may be seen at far left of the photo, with the Vendome Hotel to the right of Funk's store. H.W. Schmidt began business in 1889. By 1900 his location was on P between 7th and 8th. Schmidt and his son, also a pharmacist, were very influential in the town's business and political affairs. See article on Schmidt in the 1-5-1905, ANACORTES AMERICAN. The building between Funk's Bakery and Schmidt's Pharmacy originally stood next to the Nobar Hotel on 2nd Street. On 10-29-1891 the ANACORTES AMERICAN announced, "L. H. Jansen has purchased one-story building next to Nobar hotel and moved it to P Avenue, next to Schmidt's drug store." For a view of this building at its original site to the right of Nobar Hotel, see WF 0075. For other views of City Bakery and Groceries, see WF 0132, 0133.
Wallie Funk's grandparents, Valentine and Barbara Funk, and his father, Wallie, are in this photo at far right side; Barbara is holding hand of Wallie Funk [Sr.], who was born in August, 1892.
|Photographer||EWING, David B.|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Animal - Horse
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|